Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Lunch Box Preparedness . . .



I always try to pack lunches the night before in order to avoid the morning rush. But after a long day of work, followed by the dinner/homework/rush out the door to football practice, I rarely feel like doing anything but go to bed. I've learned to take some time on Sunday afternoon to prepare the week's lunches.
First, I'm pretty lucky, because my boys only ever want peanut butter sandwiches. They add some variety by alternating between grape or strawberry jelly and honey. I make all the sandwiches on a Sunday afternoon, by spreading peanut butter on both pieces of bread, and putting the jelly in the middle. That way the sticky stuff won't seep through the bread by lunchtime.
Then I cut all the sandwiches in half, bag them and put a "G", "S" or "H" on the bag, to indicate what's inside. I put all the bags in the freezer, along with some "juice" bottles that I can buy at Aldis at 6 for 99 cents (I know, it's just colored sugar water, but since it's the only time my kids get this kind of stuff, I don't worry about it).
The night before, I put a sandwich bag (or 2 for my oldest), a frozen drink, some sort of "snacky" thing and a fruit in their insulated lunch bags, and put them on the breakfast table. By lunchtime the next day, everything is thawed but the drink is still cold. I'd love to pack water in something reusable, but I've always had problems with things leaking whenever I've tried it.
Leave a comment about your lunchtime ideas - I'd love to hear them!

No comments: