Monday, August 25, 2008

Starting the year off right

Something new I did with the boys this year was to talk to them about setting goals for the year. I let them think about it for awhile, then they each decided what they're goals would be.

My oldest decided he wanted to get mostly "A's", get the presidential physical fitness award, and make good friends.

His younger brother set the goals of making a new friend, stay on green (which translates to behaving in class), and run fast in gym class.

I downloaded a star shape clip-art, and used it as a template for some construction paper stars. Then we wrote each goal on a star, and put them up in the boys room.

It's the first time the boys have gone to school with some goals for the year. They're very enthusiastic about it, and I have a few leftover stars - just in case they come up with another goal or two in the first weeks of school.

I didn't come up with this idea all on my own. I found it in a magazine. I think it was Woman's Day. I'm very proud of my boys for embracing this idea, and putting a lot of thought into their goals.

No comments: